Friday, February 8, 2013

Not your typical bushcraft knife

I was contacted by a fellow who runs a school focusing on preparedness/bushcraft/survival. He wanted a knife to carry in general and to use in his classes. He liked a previous knife I had done, and I took that as the starting point for his. He sent me a sketch for the sheath setup he wanted, which I handed over to my sheathmaker. It had several new aspects for my sheathmaker, but the customer was well pleased with the outcome and commented that it looked like the sheathmaker had made hundreds of 'em. :)

The blade is around 6" long, forged from 3/4" 5160 round bar, and given my typical triple normalized, triple hardened, triple tempered heat treatment. The handle is wrapped in paracord impregnated with Minwax Wood Hardener, with a grayish green cord for the underlay and black for the overlay and two-strand Turk's head knot. The edge shaves hair, of course. :)


The sheath features a retention strap with a snap, brass D-ring dangler belt loop, and brass flared tube rivet attachment points, as well as a fire rod loop.


And some texturing to go with the forge finish.

It seems like most bushcraft knives are around 4" and scandi ground with fairly gentle spear points. This is a full flat bevel with a sharper point.


It's light in spite of its stout spine. The spine is around 1/4" with a distal taper. The balance point is just in front of the Turk's head knot.


No comments:

Post a Comment